For your convenience, Sungai Bali has collected some of the most frequently asked questions sent our way.
Exactly where are the villas?
Given our central position, many guests choose to base themselves with us for their entire time in Bali rather than spending time in different locations. This allows them to access the many sightseeing, shopping and adventure activity options with ½ day excursions giving them the opportunity to enjoy the facilities of the villas each day as well…and the longer booking also sees them come to love coming ‘home’ after a trip away from the villa/s to the staff who have got to know their likes/dislikes/habits so well. And with chauffeured vehicles available around the clock there is a capacity to change times/schedules at whim.
Location: On the SW coast: Canggu: 20 mins; Seminyak: 35 mins; Ubud: 40 mins; Ngurah Rai International Airport (DPS): 45-60 mins.
Who do the villas cater best to?
- They cater to high-end clientele who are attracted by the privacy, the exclusivity, the hotel services, the personal service………and the fact that they are not hotels.
- They reflect the finest that the world has to offer for the newlywed couple trying to escape from the world.
- These are chic destinations with the wow factor and can be booked in conjunction for larger groups/events…the epitome of privacy and outrageous pampering for couples, groups of friends, and families.
They are ideal for moments in your life that are truly befitting something very special – it could be an anniversary, milestone birthday, small wedding or honeymoon. Sungai and Sungai Gold provide the most intriguing, most compelling luxury travel possibility for 1-12 friends/family with very special attention given to babies and younger guests. Taken in conjunction 12 guests + babies can be accommodated (16 if using the king singles in 4 of the king rooms).
Please explain the couples' residence (‘Owners Villa’) Sungai Gold
At GOLD it is all white terrazzo floors, white-washed pavilions, carved teak gateways and khaki furnishings…the sort of drop-dead-swish places that makes one want to rush out and buy a white bikini!
It is clean-lined and unpretentious, deliberately conceived to reflect the best of SUNGAI next door with its understated chic which has become its hallmark. A smaller version of SUNGAI in terms of living areas (but now also with 3 king guest suites) that continues SUNGAI’s inimitable luxury private villa experience. The mood is luxurious but not opulent.
Here, as at SUNGAI, discretion, care and immaculate service are the passwords and indulgence is on an outrageous scale….
GOLD is accessed by its own entrance reached by a pathway that wanders among gardens planted with ginger, gardenia, spider lilies and other tropical specimens, and linked to the main property by a secret corridor if booked in conjunction for larger groups of friends or family.
GOLD can be booked in conjunction with VILLA SUNGAI BALI (SUNGAI PLATINUM) to provide 6 king guest rooms, 2 beautiful pools, 3 dining/lounge areas and 7 bathrooms.
If booked separately are SUNGAI and SUNGAI GOLD totally private?
How many guests can be accommodated at the villas?
SUNGAI GOLD: (the ‘Owners Villa’) can be taken alone for 1- 6 adults plus children, or in conjunction with SUNGAI: 12 guests + babies can be accommodated.
Will there be other people at the villa if I only take one or two rooms?
You will have exclusivity for 1+ rooms. One booking only per property is taken at any one time.
Can I book one room only at SUNGAI?
What are some of the special attractions of these villas?
- The overwhelming memories of a SUNGAI experience are the magical location, exquisite food, flawless service and immaculately appointed guest rooms (CHOPARD + bespoke bathroom goodies, Bose sound, loaded iPods, etc) but the professional whilst personal care extended to children and adults alike, the cultural benefits of being in an unspoiled traditional village, the round-the-clock car and driver, and the fact that you have a manager/concierge to co-ordinate your entire holiday are also defining features.
- At Villas Sungai and Sungai Gold nothing is shared and nothing is compromised. Utter luxury in a refreshing interpretation of an intimate 5+ star retreat designed to appeal to today’s more sophisticated travellers….the VIP fast airport clearance service, inclusive laundry, round-the-clock butler service, and the chauffeured vehicle on call at all times for shopping, touring or night-clubbing (extra charge)…..and the generous signature vases of tuberoses throughout the villa.
- From their immaculate, elegant interiors to the extraordinary service, these villas are the last word in spoiling and relaxation taking the 5+ star hotel experience to the next level….they provide the ultimate luxe experience, that is bespoke, uncompromising and distinctive.
- They are completely secluded in a cocoon of calm and luxury, yet within easy access of many of the island’s most popular attractions, and a mere twenty minutes’ drive from Bali’s newest shopping, dining and night-life at Canggu – to which you’ll travel in air-conditioned luxury, through verdant rice fields.
- Villa Sungai and/or Sungai Gold can easily be a destination unto themselves, places to replenish the soul and spirit, but equally they make the perfect base for discovering the rich cultural traditions of this unique island. At your disposal is a dedicated vehicle, with the manager often acting as your driver and tour-guide and therefore making sure he is aware of all your plans and ambitions. He is a wealth of knowledge and his genuine care for your enjoyment will be most apparent.
- Travellers are increasingly seeking experiences that inspire them; that allow them to connect with nature and learn about other people and cultures. And they want to feel good about doing it, knowing that they have contributed in a positive way to the economy of their destination. The SUNGAI experience offers an unaffected and intensely intimate glimpse of traditional Balinese life whilst being the epitome of privacy, romance and indulgence.
What defines the accommodation/guest rooms at the villa/s?
- Double European bath and twin showers in the SUNGAI master suite and all 3 SUNGAI GOLD suites
- Double basins in expansive bathrooms (all with outdoor showers)
- CHOPARD and our own bespoke natural range of soaps, shampoo, conditioner, body cream, bath milk.
- Sealable plastic swimmers bags to allow last minute swimming pre-departure for the airport
- Adaptors for your phone chargers and personal appliances (international sockets in SUNGAI bedrooms and the master suite at GOLD)
- Twice daily room service including turn down of an evening
- Nets for all beds and cots
- GHD hair straighteners on request
Are children welcome?
With the thought and attention given to young guests at SUNGAI and SUNGAI GOLD travelling with children and babies no longer means you have to forego the privacy, rejuvenation and pampering provided at our luxury private villas.
SUNGAI and SUNGAI GOLD cater extensively for babies and children from a fun drinks and food menu to special little chairs. Below is a list of the provisions that includes Australian car seats and strollers to reduce the need to travel with cumbersome luggage.
The villa provides the following for children:
- 2 inter-connecting rooms at each property
- Bed rails
- Highchairs and small dining chairs
- Bumbo babysitter with harness and play tray (3-12mths)
- Cots/cribs; baby change mats
- Pandan slippers 3yrs+
- Sarongs for all toddlers and children
- 30 min massages at USD15
- Complimentary same-day laundry
- Children’s cutlery; baby feeding spoons; spare baby bottles; microwave bottle sterilizer
- The villa has facility to heat bottles at any time of day/night
- Kids Club Menu (the chefs are totally flexible with children’s meal and snack times)
- Infant amenities can be ordered in advance of your arrival eg: nappies, nappy wipes, baby oil, specialty foods, milks, etc
- Car seats
- A children’s ledge in both pools
- Pool floats/toys
- Swimming aid vests newborn to 8yrs
- SPF30+ very high protection children’s 4hr water resistant sunscreen
- A range of toys; and buckets, spades and beach bags for beach visits
- An easel; an activity/meals table; an adjustable basketball hoop for 3yrs+
- A triangular children’s gym with climbing, sliding and hiding components (if age appropriate, it can be positioned so that the slide goes into the pool)
- Colouring books and pencils and reading books
- Two children’s bikes to 8yrs (one with trainer wheels)
What activities are on offer?
Alternatively, get active on a jungle hike, white-water rafting, parasailing, elephant safaris or some of the best snorkelling and diving anywhere in the world, all arranged by your manager/concierge who can also secure the best tables at the island’s best restaurants. The answer is always yes…or, “if you want it – we can make it happen”.
A highlight for most guests is the village tour that can also include the primary school if children are involved.
How far is the closest beach?
Is there transport?
Please note: Every transfer with 5 or more people will require a second vehicle for luggage, to be charged at USD25. For multiple pickups a 2nd vehicle for guests may be required depending on flight times or multiple pickup locations (USD55).
Airport transfers include refreshing/cleansing cool towels and cool water (optional champagne and Bintang on request pre-arrival) and snacks.
Is there concierge support?
What staff/service can we expect?
The team of 13 (plus spa therapists), including a manager, chefs, drivers, dining/bar and room staff, offer discreet, considered and intuitive service.
There is 24hr staffing for anything from a late-night Caipiroska or latte to a cup of specialty TWG or ginger tea upon waking.
The Sungai team is always ready to provide whatever you want, whenever you want it. Whether it’s the smallest service or the most lavish desire, we aim to make it happen for you.
In keeping with the highest international standards, rooms are serviced twice daily, with turn-down every evening, when used bath sheets and bottled water are also replenished.
Are tips/gratuities appropriate?
How are bookings made?
Our pre-arrival service with the lead guest/organiser is taken to the extreme to make sure no time is wasted once your holiday begins. And once at the villa/s, the manager takes over to act as your PA/concierge/tour guide.
E: [email protected]; T: +61 (0)400233468 [owner]
You will be looked after carefully from the moment you make your first enquiry – but once you arrive at the villa, the staff will endear themselves to you with their grace and charm, while at the same time discreetly and totally spoiling you!
Is there a minimum night stay?
Peak: 7 nights unless availability does not allow it
Other: 3 nights or subject to current bookings/availability
Do rates include taxes?
15% (10% govt and 5% service taxes) is added to rates at time of booking and are payable with accommodation. Taxes are made transparent at the time of enquiry and on the rates page of the website.
When do I make payment?
- To guarantee a reservation a deposit of 50 per cent of the rental amount must be received by Villa Sungai/Sungai Gold management within five working days of the confirmation of reservation being provided. Transfers need to be made to an Australian account in AUD. Alternatively guests can pay via Paypal which enables use of a credit card (the client is responsible for the approx 3% commission charged by Paypal)
- For non-Peak Season bookings, final payment is required 60 days prior to check-in.
- For Peak Season bookings, final payment is required 90 days prior to check-in.
Can I pay with a credit card at check-out?
What time is check-in and check-out?
If I am on a late flight will a late check-out be possible?
It is recommended that you secure that (in effect) extra day upfront as otherwise bookings will be taken for that day.
If you choose not to guarantee a late check-out (or if it wasn’t available at booking time because of previous bookings) and there is a new check-in on the day of your departure your check-out time will be 11am.
Many guests take advantage of the opportunity to not only have the whole day at the villa/s or touring and then trial another of the better restaurants on the way to the airport, thereby not expending dedicated travel time to achieve it. The driver/s will drop you whilst minding your luggage and then take you on to the airport after dinner.
Is reception at the hotel available 24 hours a day?
However, guests are always met by the manager (or another senior staff member) at either the airport or another property and dropped back there. All bookings need to be made in advance through head office (see Booking Enquiry in the CONTACTS section of the website). Only resident guests can come and go at the villas. Inspections, for instance, need to be booked through Reservations and are only possible when we are between guests.
What if I need to cancel or make a date change? Do I need travel insurance?
Travel insurance is a personal decision. As changes to your reservation or cancellations affect us greatly, the following cancellation policy applies. We encourage you to consider comprehensive travel insurance in the event that circumstances outside of your control cause late cancellation of your booking.
Deposits and final payments are non-refundable, however, bookings can be moved out to anywhere within 12 months of the original booking dates, subject only to availability (prices will change if there is a change of season). One change of dates allowed only and if within 8 weeks of check-in a 50% penalty will apply (75% for peak period bookings). Bookings must be paid for in full prior to the re-allocation of dates.
Subsequent changes will incur a 25% penalty and if within 8 weeks of a check-in a 50% penalty will apply (100% for peak period bookings).
All changes will incur an administration fee of USD100
Will I be met at the airport?
Whenever possible you will be met by the villa manager, MADE, but alternatively by another senior staff member.
Is a VIP airport butler service provided?
“And how awesome is that VIP service on arrival and departure?! We felt like superstars! Nearly beat the pilot through the airport on our arrival!!” – Kate Fisher
The government has stopped fast track airport services that used to see the immigration queues bypassed, however, as our guests have come to depend on our personal attention on arrival, we are offering a similar service whereby you will still be met off the plane as you enter the arrivals hall and assisted through all facets of the airport clearance. Instead of your immigration being handled on a priority basis as previously, the speed of the mandatory queue will depend on circumstances on the day.
However, as previously, you will still not have to negotiate the throngs as you exit the airport. You will instead be assisted by our airport butler who will deliver you to the villa manager, or his assistant, who will be waiting for you with your cooled vehicle. We have reduced the charge from the original 250,000rp to 150,000rp given that we cannot guarantee to eliminate the immigration phase. For approx. Just USD12/AUD15 per passport I would highly recommend this special way of starting your stay with us. And in the case of any issues with luggage, passports, etc it is invaluable.
Does the service include being ‘fast-tracked’ through immigration?
Maybe: sometimes we are able to negotiate special clearance with the duty immigration officer for passengers who have small children, who are elderly or infirm, or whose presence in the immigration line could cause a commotion (eg a well-known celebrity). But usually we are not able to guarantee a special route through immigration, however, our airport butler will use his knowledge and local contacts to make it as fast and easy as possible on the day.
A similar but even better service is available (@ 250,000Rp per passport) at departure which additionally allows you to arrive at the airport just 60 minutes prior to your flight. It will also save you lifting your luggage through security screenings, and all tedious queuing…our airport butler takes you straight to the counter where he will have arranged pre-seating where possible (wonderful if you are not flying business class). Once you have your boarding passes he will accompany you to clear Immigration (without queuing) and finally deliver you to your boarding gate (or leave you at the duty-free shops if you prefer).
Is there mobile phone reception at the villas?
Is there internet access?
Do the villas offer in-house spa treatments?
Does the villa have a restaurant?
The bar is offered at wholesale prices and BYO spirits are welcomed.
SUNGAI GOLD: There is seating for 10 in the dining pavilion
SUNGAI: Seating for 12 day-to-day and for 24-30 seated under-cover for functions.
Plus: Extra dining riverside for 12 (in dry weather)
Putting the emphasis on fresh ingredients and vivid tastes the chefs serve up contemporary interpretations of traditional Balinese fare as well as modern Australian and Asian dishes. Dinners can include quite formal degustation menus that do real justice to the beautiful setting. Here passionate staff serve you decadent courses and fine wines under a spectacular canopy of tropical forest and stars.
– Dear Pamela
We have just had a magnificent and wondrous 7 days at villa Sungai, We have never been at peace as much as in the 7 days in your villa.
Made and his team were brilliant. I have worked and dined in some of the best establishments in the world and their level of hospitality and professionalism is certainly up there with the best. We were made to feel part of the family and part of the community.
We cannot wait to return to this wonderful space to chill out and drop out.
(Fratelli Paradiso and 10 William Street Bar)
(Sungai (2 adults, 2 children))
– Thank you all!!!!!!! It was a wonderful experience!!! We fell in love with Made, his team and his family as I know everyone does … we can’t believe how incredible the food was!!!!! and are missing the flavors of lemongrass, kaffir leaves etc. etc. … hmmm maybe we’re just missing your signature cocktail!!!! and the villa is so beautiful … thank you. thank you. thank you!!! Xxx
(Sungai Gold (2 adults, 3 children))
– “….Sungai Gold is also a fine-dining experience. Everything is made fresh to order and with only two villas (Sungai Gold and Villa Sungai), the ordering happens in the morning and the ingredients are shopped for and prepared from scratch during the day. I have not had a bad meal since my arrival in Bali, but this place is on another level; it’s like eating at a hatted restaurant. Everything is so fresh and tasty and served as soon as it’s cooked. My first dinner is so good I get out my iPhone and start taking photos, like a blogger. I talk myself through the light crispy pastry of the lamb spring rolls, the moreish peanut sauce on my entree, the flavour of the BBQ chicken with green chilli and lime dressing, then over my glass of wine, I contemplate how I can possibly fit in dessert and petit fours – after all, my stomach has shrunk after the yoga retreat. I almost make it – sadly I need to leave the petit fours and roll off to my bedroom pavilion– it’s been a huge day.”
Melissa Mylchreest (Creative Director, Australian House and Garden)
– Dear Pamela, Made and staff,
Samantha and Owen’s wedding week at Villa Sungai was the most beautiful week of my life.
The beautiful setting of the villa, the serene and gracious staff, the attention to detail, the food and service were all above and beyond all expectations.
Please thank everyone again for us for their excellent service and attention. We all hated leaving and became very attached to them all. The wedding was totally magical in every way, as was the ladies’ lunch. The food was the best I have ever had anywhere.
It was our first visit to Bali – living in Canada makes it a two day trip – bit it is sooo worth it!
– what a beautiful and heavenly island. We fell in love with it and can’t wait to return.
We look forward to returning to Villa Sungai. Thank you all for your kind and gracious hospitality.
Judy and Ted Steeves (Canada)
– I think you undersell the food at the villa – we went to some of the best restaurants in Bali – all very good but next time we will only head out for lunches and a couple of nights.
– “Your venue is amazing !!! it was almost unrealistic it was that good….the service was something that I have never experienced at any hospitality venue anywhere ever (even Sydney’s Establishment)…..All the staff were excellent in every way and Made was the cherry on top.
I’ll be BACK !!!”
– Justin Lewis
I understand that daily Continental breakfasts are provided free of charge. What charges are made for other meals?
Note: The government has decreed that from December 2015 villa guests will have to pay 10% tax on their food and beverage which will align them with hotels/resorts.
As the only charge made for your dinners, lunches and snacks is the market cost of ingredients, guests are asked to order as if for a private dinner party (or regular family meal) where, if possible, all guests enjoy the same selections. (Of course, special requests and a guest’s food dislikes are taken into account).
The villas’ children’s menus are offered on the same basis as the adult one (same selection for all children subject to ages only), although naturally they may select from either menu.
The head chef (Wayan), or dining staff will discuss/take your lunch and dinner orders after breakfast each morning. By this stage you will have planned your day and this allows the chefs to shop in time for lunch if applicable. We require your assistance with this as we do not keep food on the premises so that the produce can be super fresh (and we only charge you for what is ordered on your behalf).This is the reason we make suggestions for your first day’s meals on the electronic booking form that we send after your booking has been confirmed. In most cases flights arrive later in the morning/afternoon/evening so we need to identify your meals for that day in advance.
Are wines and cocktails available at the villas?
A wider range of wines, champagnes & beers can be ordered in for you upon your arrival (also at wholesale prices and without corkage). Such orders need payment upon delivery (usually same day or within 24 hours) and become yours irrespective of whether you consume them all during your stay at the villa or not. Prior to arrival you will be sent a wholesaler’s price and stock list and this will be updated on arrival for you to order from.
Please note that USD10 corkage per bottle will be charged for wines brought in by guests, however, BYO duty free spirits are welcome without corkage for use with mixed drinks (not for use in cocktails).
(Please note that there is a 1 litre alcohol limit per adult into Bali)
Are special dietary needs catered for (vegetarians, coeliacs, gluten free/vegan, etc)?
Please advise us in detail at the time of booking of any special dietary requirements.
(a) Can I have a party? (b) Can we invite guests for drinks or lunch/dinner?
(b) Our guests are welcome to invite friends to cocktails or dinner at the villa/s. This is particularly relevant when they happen to be in Bali for a wedding or special event with friends staying elsewhere on the island for that same function. It can be rather special to introduce them to the privacy and exclusivity of your full-service private villa, particularly if they are staying at resorts/hotels/villa complexes. Please discuss this with us in the lead-in so we can give you the various options. FYI, we try to be flexible for impromptu gatherings, however, if numbers go > 12 guests total, then there is a charge per head for the cocktail party or dinner on top of the usual ‘cost of ingredients only’ basis of the food at the villa/s. This allows for the extra chefs and service staff required and applies to all guests including the in-house guests. POA
Is bottled water available?
Is there a TV/DVD player/cable?
Television only is provided in SUNGAI 1 and SUNGAI GOLD 2.
A large range of international satellite TV stations is available.
Given that our clientele are generally staying with us to catch up with family/friends we deliberately do not provide televisions etc. in the dining/leisure pavilions.
What sound facilities are provided?
Bose or Sony sound in all bedrooms
Loaded iPods in all bedrooms
Are there any laundry facilities at the villa?
What is the plug/voltage situation in Bali?
All power outlets in the bedrooms of SUNGAI and the master suite at SUNGAI GOLD are universal. We provide plugs for the other rooms that will be offered during orientation.
If you are bringing along any plug-in appliances you should take an international adapter with you. Round two-pin plugs are the most common types in the region. Voltage is 110/220V.
Remember: an adaptor by itself will not change the electrical voltage. You must be sure that your appliance can handle different voltages (either automatically or through a voltage switch). If it can’t, you will need a voltage converter.
When is the best time of the year to go to Bali?
Although Bali is climatically comfortable throughout the year, and is a year-round destination, the best time to visit Bali is from April to October, the summer months in Bali.
This is the busiest time for tourism on the island, especially July, August and September, as the humidity is low and the rainfall minimal, making for a comfortable [albeit more expensive] time to holiday in Bali.
During October to March expect abrupt moody downpours of rain, but then the skies will clear and you are left with a hot, humid day. The wet season is all about the humidity and rainfall, hence why it is called low season (except for Xmas/New Year which is huge in Bali), but the outbursts of rain are fast and furious, lasting only a matter of hours and often happen overnight, meaning it is bearable for some visitors to the island, plus there are far fewer crowds to deal with.
What are the visa and travel requirements for visitors to Bali?
There are 3 possibilities for tourists:
– No Visa required (majority of countries – FREE entry, 30 days valid, NOT extendable)
– Visa on Arrival (USD35, 30 days valid, extendable (once for 30 days)
– Visa needed (apply abroad before arriving in Indonesia)
The service at Sungai is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever experienced.Amanda Donald