For your convenience, Sungai Bali has collected some of the most frequently asked questions sent our way.
Exactly where are the villas?
Villa Sungai and Sungai Gold are discreetly hidden between the exquisite village temple and the river’s edge in the charming traditional village Cepaka on the south-western coast of Bali beside the latest hotspot Canggu. Village and villas are set, jewel-like, in a dramatic setting of the volcanoes of Bali, with emerald terraces of rice, tropical forests and ancient temples all around. It’s hard to believe that these pieces of paradise are only a short drive from the bustle of Legian and Seminyak.
Given our central position, many guests choose to base themselves with us for their entire time in Bali rather than spending time in different locations. This allows them to access the many sightseeing, shopping and adventure activity options with (often) half-day excursions, providing the opportunity to enjoy the facilities of the villas each day as well, and the longer booking also sees them come to love coming ‘home’ after a trip away from the villa/s to the staff who have got to know their likes/dislikes/habits so well. And with chauffeured vehicles available around the clock there is a capacity to change times/schedules at whim.
To find out more or to view us on a map, follow through to Find Us.
Please explain the new couples residence (‘Owners Villa’) Sungai Gold
SUNGAI aficionadas can now experience the same style and indulgence in the purpose built couples residence next door. From its immaculate, elegant interiors to the extraordinary service, this villa is the last word in spoiling and relaxation taking the 5-star hotel experience to the next level.
[UPDATE: we now have 2 master suites. When booked by a couple the second master suite becomes a dedicated spa room for them. For more than 1 couple it is prepared as a twin or king bedroom.]
At GOLD it is all white terrazzo floors, white walls, white-washed majestic pavilions, carved teak gateways and khaki furnishings…the sort of drop-dead-swish places that makes one want to rush out and buy a white bikini!
It is clean-lined and unpretentious, deliberately conceived to reflect the best of SUNGAI next door with its understated chic which has become its hallmark. A smaller version of SUNGAI with just two luxe bedrooms instead of three (but with a third cabana sleeping area if numbers creep up) that continues SUNGAI’s inimitable luxury private villa experience. The mood is luxurious but not opulent.
Here, as at SUNGAI, discretion, care and immaculate service are the passwords and indulgence is on an outrageous scale….
[Whilst GOLD is aimed at one or two couples or one family, a third king bed (and a single) is available if need be in the leisure pavilion (‘pool edge cabana suite’) with the same quality of plush pillow-top mattressing and bedding (and netted canopy) as is in the main guest suites. Once the lined bamboo blinds are down a private air-conditioned third bedroom is created. A third bathroom attached to this leisure pavilion serves as an ensuite bathroom for guests sleeping in this pavilion and there is a large armoire to unpack into. During the day it is returned to daybed status for use by all guests so the overall experience is not compromised. (Many guests choose to leave some of the blinds up so as to have uninterrupted views of the pool and take in the stars and jungle in a similar way to the most luxurious tented camp experiences in Africa.)]
GOLD is accessed by its own entrance reached by a pathway that wanders among gardens planted with ginger, gardenia, spider lilies and other tropical specimens, and linked to the main property by a secret corridor if booked in conjunction for larger groups of friends or family. The minute you pass through the beautiful entry gates you’ll forget about life outside. The thoughtful contemporary design, comfortable and luxurious, makes quite an impact in this unspoilt tropical setting.
‘GOLD’ can be booked in conjunction with VILLA SUNGAI BALI to provide 6 king guest rooms, 2 beautiful pools, 3 dining/lounge areas and 7 bathrooms. It can sleep up to 14 when utilizing the 2 king-size daybeds with their own bathrooms (or more if children are on the guest list).
If booked separately are SUNGAI and SUNGAI GOLD totally private?
They have separate entrances and there is absolutely no connection and no sound travels between the two properties.
How many guests can be accommodated at the villas?
SUNGAI: 6 adults plus babies and children (using the king singles in each room + cots)
SUNGAI GOLD: (the ‘Owners Villa’) can be taken alone for 1- 4 adults plus children, or in conjunction with SUNGAI: 12 guests + babies can be accommodated (17 + babies if using the king singles in 5 of the king rooms).
Will there be other people at the villa if I only take one or two rooms?
You will have exclusivity for 1+ rooms. One booking only per property is taken at any one time.
Can I book one room only at SUNGAI?
At the couples’ rate. Some guests may prefer to have the larger property to themselves, or if SUNGAI GOLD is unavailable SUNGAI is a wonderful alternative, albeit slightly more expensive.
What are some of the special attractions of these villas?
- The overwhelming memories of a SUNGAI experience are the magical location, exquisite food, flawless service and immaculately appointed guest rooms (CHOPARD + bespoke bathroom goodies, Bose sound, loaded iPods, etc) but the professional whilst personal care extended to children and adults alike, the cultural benefits of being in an unspoiled traditional village, the round-the-clock car and driver, and the fact that you have a manager/concierge to co-ordinate your entire holiday are also defining features.
- At Villas Sungai and Sungai Gold nothing is shared and nothing is compromised. Utter luxury in a refreshing interpretation of an intimate 5+ star retreat designed to appeal to today’s more sophisticated travellers.
- ….the VIP fast airport clearance service, complimentary first night canapés, inclusive laundry, CHOPARD and bespoke bathroom goodies, round-the-clock butler service, and the chauffeured vehicle on call at all times for shopping, touring or night-clubbing…..and the generous signature vases of tuberoses throughout the villa.
- From their immaculate, elegant interiors to the extraordinary service, these villas are the last word in spoiling and relaxation taking the 5+ star hotel experience to the next level….they provide the ultimate luxe experience, that is bespoke, uncompromising and distinctive.
- They are completely secluded in a cocoon of calm and luxury, yet within easy access of many of the island’s most popular attractions, and a mere twenty minutes’ drive from Bali’s best dining, night-life and golf course – to which you’ll travel in air-conditioned luxury, through verdant rice fields.
- Villa Sungai and/or Sungai Gold can easily be a destination unto themselves, places to replenish the soul and spirit, but equally they make the perfect base for discovering the rich cultural traditions of this unique island. At your disposal is a dedicated vehicle, with the manager often acting as your driver and tour-guide and therefore making sure he is aware of all your plans and ambitions. All our drivers have a wealth of knowledge and their genuine care for your enjoyment will be most apparent.
- Travellers are increasingly seeking experiences that inspire them; that allow them to connect with nature and learn about other people and cultures. And they want to feel good about doing it, knowing that they have contributed in a positive way to the economy of their destination. The SUNGAI experience offers an unaffected and intensely intimate glimpse of traditional Balinese life whilst being the epitome of privacy, romance and indulgence.
What defines the accommodation/guest rooms at the villa/s?
The three king bedrooms at SUNGAI and two at SUNGAI GOLD are deliberately simply outfitted but with deeply comfortable huge canopied beds that you will never wish to leave, plush imported duvets (duck feather/down), unlimited giant pillows/bath sheets/pool towels, Turkish towels, beautiful daybeds that double as reading spots or extra accommodation…Bose sound in the pavilions, Tivoli Audio in the bedrooms (even loaded iPods), wall-mounted flat screen plasma TV… spa gowns and poolside sarongs, powerful salon hairdryers, 5x magnification make-up mirrors, LED in-canopy reading lights, shopping/beach baskets and bags in your armoires or dressing rooms (incl children’s versions), comfy sandals,…
- Double European baths and twin showers in the SUNGAI master suite and both SUNGAI GOLD suites
- Double basins in expansive bathrooms (all with outdoor showers)
- CHOPARD and our own bespoke natural range of soaps, shampoo, conditioner, body cream, bath milk.
- Sealable plastic swimmers bags to allow last minute swimming pre departure for the airport
- Luggage tags
- Adaptors for your phone chargers and personal appliances (Australian, UK, USA and universal)
- Twice daily room service including turn down of an evening.
- Nets for all beds and cots
- GHD hair straighteners on request
Are children welcome?
With the thought and attention given to young guests at SUNGAI and SUNGAI GOLD travelling with children and babies no longer means you have to forego the privacy, rejuvenation and pampering provided at luxury private villas.
SUNGAI and SUNGAI GOLD cater extensively for babies and children incl a fun drinks and food menu and special little chairs. Below is a list of the provisions that includes Australian car seats and strollers to reduce the need to travel with cumbersome luggage.
We have 2m x 2m canopied king beds and king single beds in all guest rooms. We have interconnecting rooms available at both properties. Rollaways and cots are provided FOC.
The villa provides the following for children:
- 2 inter-connecting rooms at each property.
- Bed rails
- Highchairs and small dining chairs
- Bumbo babysitter with harness and play tray (3-12mths)
- Cots/cribs; baby change mats
- Pandan slippers 3yrs+; shopping baskets
- Sarongs for all toddlers and children
- 30 min massages at USD15
- Complimentary same-day laundry
- Children’s cutlery; baby feeding spoons; spare baby bottles; microwave bottle sterilizer
- The villa has facility to heat bottles at any time of day/night
- Kids Club Menu (the chefs are totally flexible with children’s meal and snack times) Menu available on request.
- Infant amenities can be ordered in advance of your arrival eg: nappies, nappy wipes, baby oil, specialty foods, milks, etc
- Your car has at least two rear seatbelts – not the norm in Bali – so that your child safety seats can be installed to make travelling more comfortable for everyone.
- Car seats of the highest quality: Safe’n’Sound Maxi Rider; Safe’n’Sound High-back booster seat (see below)
- Safe-n-Sound Child Safety Harness (see below)
- A children’s ledge in both pools
- Back float (2-6yrs) – conforms to European/Australian standards; Floaties
- Swimming aid vests (2-3yrs; 3-8yrs)
- 2 x Speedo swim seats (1-2yrs)
- SPF30+ very high protection children’s 4hr water resistant sunscreen
- Jnr (up to 14yrs) and jnr kids (up to 6yrs) swimming goggles with maximum UV protection
- A range of toys; and buckets, spades and beach bags for beach visits
- An easel; an activity/meals table; an adjustable basketball hoop for 3yrs+
- A triangular children’s gym with climbing, sliding and hiding components (if age appropriate, it can be positioned so that the slide goes into the pool)
- Colouring books and pencils and reading books
- Two children’s bikes to 8yrs (one with trainer wheels)
What activities are on offer?
Savour romantic candlelit dinners, sip exotic cocktails overlooking your celadon infinity pool/s or move to the massage beds for some aromatherapy under the skilful hands of Balinese therapists offering a wonderful range of body wraps, masks and massages. Perhaps opt for the ‘signature’ massage, 90 minutes of bliss from Thai yoga movements to Swedish strokes.
Alternatively, get active on a jungle hike, white-water rafting, parasailing, elephant safaris or some of the best snorkelling and diving anywhere in the world, all arranged by your manager/concierge who can also secure the best tables at the island’s best restaurants. The answer is always yes… or, “if you want it – we can make it happen”.
A highlight for most guests is the village tour that can also include the primary school if children are involved.
How far is the closest beach?
Your chauffeured car is available around the clock and picnics can be arranged.
Is there transport?
Chauffeured vehicles (included in the tariff) are available around the clock incl airport transfers (petrol at guests’ cost).
There is a 7-seater vehicle attached to each property.
Incl in the tariff is a driver/tour guide with excellent knowledge of the island for up to 8 hrs per day, thereafter USD30 per 4hrs or part thereof. The vehicle will have a full tank of petrol as it leaves for the airport and guests will be charged for refills during their stay.
Airport transfers include refreshing/cleansing cool towels and cool water (optional champagne and Bintang on request pre-arrival) and snacks.
Is there concierge support?
Once at the villa/s your manager MADE will take over to act as PA/concierge/tour guide to free up the guest who has handled the initial arrangements/planning for your group/family so they too can enjoy the holiday.
What staff/service can we expect?
The ultimate luxury of Villas Sungai and Sungai Gold is not to be found in their physical beauty. It’s in the expansive, serene ambience and personal attention that the staff lavish upon guests…the Sungai’s are setting a new benchmark for elegance and service within Bali’s private luxury villas.
The team of 13 (plus spa therapists), including a manager, chefs, drivers, dining/bar and room staff, offer discreet, considered and intuitive service.
There is 24hr staffing for anything from a late-night Caipiroska or latte to a cup of specialty TWG or ginger tea upon waking.
The Sungai team is always ready to provide whatever you want, whenever you want it. Whether it’s the smallest service or the most lavish desire, we aim to make it happen for you.
In keeping with the highest international standards, rooms are serviced twice daily, with turn-down every evening, when used bath sheets and bottled water are also replenished.
Are tips/gratuities appropriate?
A service tax of 5% of the published rate is included in the accommodation charges paid up front. If you wish to acknowledge outstanding service by way of a ‘tip’ at the end of your stay please give such payments to MADE (manager) who can also assist with any queries you may have with regard to this. Your SUNGAI/SUNGAI GOLD experience is the result of a team effort so even though you may not see much of some of them (eg: night staff, laundry, garden/pool staff and kitchen staff) we would like the opportunity to split tips between them all. A ball park figure of USD15-20 per day from each guest is suggested. This could reasonably be increased in the case of families because of the significant extra work that they create …from separate meals to extra bedding/cots.
How are bookings made?
Our 24hr concierge sales and reservations team is always available to help you with your travel planning, from booking just 1 or 2 guests into the ‘Owners Villa’ Sungai Gold, to complex event itineraries across both properties.
Our pre-arrival service with the lead guest/organiser is taken to the extreme to make sure no time is wasted once your holiday begins. And once at the villa/s, the manager takes over to act as your PA/concierge/tour guide.
E: [email protected]; T: +61 (0)410324535 [owner]
You will be looked after carefully from the moment you make your first enquiry – but once you arrive at the villa, the staff will endear themselves to you with their grace and charm, while at the same time discreetly and totally spoiling you!
Is there a minimum night stay?
Peak: 10 nights (Easter 7 nights) unless availability does not allow it
Other: Subject to current bookings/availability
Do rates include taxes?
15% (10% govt and 5% service taxes) is added to rates at time of booking and are payable with accommodation. Taxes are made transparent at the time of enquiry and on the rates page of the website.
When do I make payment?
- To guarantee a reservation a deposit of 50 per cent of the rental amount must be received by Villa Sungai/Sungai Gold management within five working days of the confirmation of reservation being provided. Transfers need to be made to an Australian account in AUD. Alternatively guests can pay via Paypal which enables use of a credit card (the client is responsible for the approx 3-4% commission charged by Paypal)
- For non-Peak Season bookings, final payment is required 60 days prior to check-in.
- For Peak Season bookings, final payment is required 90 days prior to check-in.
Can I pay with a credit card at check-out?
YES (Mastercard or Visa). Please note that the guest is responsible for the 3% bank charge.
What time is check-in and check-out?
11am check-out and 3pm check-in (unless there is no check-out that day). Guests will be met at the airport by the villa manager or other senior staff member and be delivered directly to the villa for check-in. If coming from another property they will be met at the hotel lobby at 2pm.
If I am on a late flight will a late check-out be possible?
Please note that a late checkout to 3pm will be extended to you FOC if there is no new arrival that day. However, if it is still available at booking time, you may guarantee a late checkout to suit your flights by paying a discounted 50% of the daily published rate for a check-out up to 6pm (100% to suit late night flights).
It is recommended that you secure that (in effect) extra day upfront as the properties have a goal of 100% occupancy.
If you choose not to guarantee a late check-out (or if it wasn’t available at booking time because of previous bookings) and there is a new check-in on the day of your departure your check-out time will be 11am.
Irrespective of the circumstances, we are keen to contribute to making your last day a special one and suggest the following:
- If a late check-out was not available at the time of booking, we can take you to the Pan Pacific Nirwana Bali Resort at Tanah Lot where you can secure a day use room and a SUNGAI driver will then collect you at the appropriate time to take you to the airport. If you take advantage of our VIP airport butler service you do not have to arrive at the airport till 60 mins prior to your flight.
- Please note: if the late check-out option was available at time of booking and you chose not to secure a 6pm or later checkout, the staff will drop you at either the airport or somewhere in Seminyak/Legian departing the villa at 3pm (your transport to the airport then will be your responsibility).
[It may be worth taking the 6pm check-out and having dinner on the way to the airport. This is a nice way of finishing your holiday and saves you money. The staff will drop you at the restaurant and wait for you to then deliver you to the airport.]
Is reception at the hotel available 24 hours a day?
However, guests are always met by the manager (or another senior staff member) at either the airport or another property and dropped back there. All bookings need to be made in advance through head office (see Booking Enquiry in the CONTACTS section of the website). Only resident guests can come and go at the villas. Inspections, for instance, need to be booked through Reservations and are only possible when we are between guests.
What if I need to cancel or make a date change? Do I need travel insurance?
Travel insurance is a personal decision. As changes to your reservation or cancellations affect us greatly, the following cancellation policy applies. We encourage you to consider comprehensive travel insurance in the event that circumstances outside of your control cause late cancellation of your booking:
Deposits and final payments are non-refundable, however, bookings can be moved out to anywhere within 12 months of the original booking dates, subject only to availability (prices will change if there is a change of season). One change of dates allowed only and if within 8 weeks of check-in a 50% penalty will apply (75% for peak period bookings).
Subsequent changes will incur a 25% penalty and if within 8 weeks of a check-in a 50% penalty will apply (100% for peak period bookings).
Will I be met at the airport?
Whenever possible you will be met by the villa manager, MADE but alternatively by another senior staff member.
Is a VIP airport butler service provided?
95% of our guests opt for the service in both directions
“And how awesome is that VIP service on arrival and departure?! We felt like superstars! Nearly beat the pilot through the airport on our arrival!!”
VIP AIRPORT BUTLER SERVICE UPDATE:
THE GOVT HAS STOPPED ALL FAST TRACK AIRPORT SERVICES THAT USED TO SEE THE IMMIGRATION QUEUES BYPASSED, HOWEVER, AS OUR GUESTS HAVE COME TO DEPEND ON OUR PERSONAL ATTENTION ON ARRIVAL, WE ARE OFFERING A SIMILAR SERVICE WHEREBY YOU WILL STILL BE MET OFF THE PLANE AS YOU ENTER THE ARRIVALS HALL, AND ASSISTED THROUGH ALL FACETS OF THE AIRPORT CLEARANCE. INSTEAD OF YOUR IMMIGRATION BEING HANDLED ON A PRIORITY BASIS AS PREVIOUSLY, THE SPEED OF THE MANDATORY QUEUE WILL DEPEND ON CIRCUMSTANCES ON THE DAY. HOWEVER, AS PREVIOUSLY, YOU WILL STILL NOT HAVE TO NEGOTIATE THE THRONGS AS YOU EXIT THE AIRPORT (AND THEN HAVE TO WALK THE LONG DISTANCE TO THE CAR PARK). YOU WILL INSTEAD BE ASSISTED BY OUR AIRPORT BUTLER WHO WILL DELIVER YOU TO THE VILLA MANAGER, OR HIS ASSISTANT, WHO WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU WITH YOUR COOLED VEHICLE. WE HAVE REDUCED THE CHARGE FROM THE ORIGINAL 250,000RP TO 150,000RP GIVEN THAT WE CANNOT GUARANTEE TO ELIMINATE THE IMMIGRATION PHASE. FOR APPROX. JUST USD12/AUD15 PER PASSPORT I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SPECIAL WAY OF STARTING YOUR STAY WITH US. AND IN THE CASE OF ANY ISSUES WITH LUGGAGE, PASSPORTS, ETC IT IS INVALUABLE.
A similar service is available (@ 250,000Rp per passport) at departure which additionally allows you to arrive at the airport just 60 minutes prior to your flight. It will also save you lifting your luggage through security screenings, and all tedious queuing…our airport butler takes you straight to the counter where he will have arranged pre-seating where possible (wonderful if you are not flying business class). Once you have your boarding passes he will accompany you to clear Immigration (without queuing) and finally deliver you to your boarding gate (or leave you at the duty free shops if you prefer).
Is there mobile phone reception at the villas?
Is there internet access?
YES [$30USD flat rate per villa for unlimited usage for entire stay]
Do the villas offer in-house spa treatments?
Meltingly good massages, therapeutic skin care, traditional Balinese healing therapies and sublime spa experiences are delivered by expert and nurturing hands (@ just USD30 per hour). Individual and couples spa sessions are available in SUNGAI’s dedicated double spa room and SUNGAI GOLD’s double spa room (or individual guest rooms when GOLD’s 2nd guest room is in use as a bedroom).
Does the villa have a restaurant?
Dining and bar offerings are features of the SUNGAI/SUNGAI GOLD experience. Breakfast and first night canapes are included FOC, and other meals are charged at cost of ingredients only. Given that the focus is on premium ingredients at their freshest, the chefs shop daily for all food. And unlike many private villas, there is no mark up on the food cost to cover shopping and preparation.
The bar is offered at wholesale prices and BYO spirits are welcomed.
SUNGAI GOLD: There is seating for 8 in the dining bale
SUNGAI: Seating for 12 day-to-day and for 24-30 seated under-cover for functions.
Plus: Extra dining riverside for 12 (in dry weather)
Putting the emphasis on fresh ingredients and vivid tastes the chefs serve up contemporary interpretations of traditional Balinese fare as well as modern Australian and Asian dishes. Dinners can include quite formal degustation menus that do real justice to the beautiful setting. Here passionate staff serve you decadent courses and fine wines under a spectacular canopy of tropical forest and stars. The perfect way to unwind your day….
We have just had a magnificent and wondrous 7 days at villa Sungai, We have never been at peace as much as in the 7 days in your villa.
Made and his team were brilliant. I have worked and dined in some of the best establishments in the world and their level of hospitality and professionalism is certainly up there with the best. We were made to feel part of the family and part of the community.
We cannot wait to return to this wonderful space to chill out and drop out.
Fratelli Paradiso and 10 William Street Bar
[Sungai (2 adults, 2 children)]
- Thank you all!!!!!!! It was a wonderful experience!!! We fell in love with Made, his team and his family as I know everyone does … we can’t believe how incredible the food was!!!!! and are missing the flavors of lemongrass, kaffir leaves etc. etc. … hmmm maybe we’re just missing your signature cocktail!!!! and the villa is so beautiful … thank you. thank you. thank you!!! Xxx
[Sungai Gold Easter 2012 (2 adults, 3 children)]
- “….Sungai Gold is also a fine-dining experience. Everything is made fresh to order and with only two villas (Sungai Gold and Villa Sungai), the ordering happens in the morning and the ingredients are shopped for and prepared from scratch during the day. I have not had a bad meal since my arrival in Bali, but this place is on another level; it’s like eating at a hatted restaurant. Everything is so fresh and tasty and served as soon as it’s cooked. My first dinner is so good I get out my iPhone and start taking photos, like a blogger. I talk myself through the light crispy pastry of the lamb spring rolls, the moreish peanut sauce on my entree, the flavour of the BBQ chicken with green chilli and lime dressing, then over my glass of wine, I contemplate how I can possibly fit in dessert and petit fours – after all, my stomach has shrunk after the yoga retreat. I almost make it – sadly I need to leave the petit fours and roll off to my bedroom pavilion– it’s been a huge day.”
Melissa Mylchreest (Creative Director, Australian House and Garden)
- Dear Pamela, Made and staff,
Samantha and Owen’s wedding week at Villa Sungai was the most beautiful week of my life.
The beautiful setting of the villa, the serene and gracious staff, the attention to detail, the food and service were all above and beyond all expectations.
Please thank everyone again for us for their excellent service and attention. We all hated leaving and became very attached to them all. The wedding was totally magical in every way, as was the ladies’ lunch. The food was the best I have ever had anywhere.
It was our first visit to Bali – living in Canada makes it a two day trip – bit it is sooo worth it!
– what a beautiful and heavenly island. We fell in love with it, and can’t wait to return.
We look forward to returning to Villa Sungai. Thank you all for your kind and gracious hospitality.
Judy and Ted Steeves (23 June-1 July 2013)
- I think you undersell the food at the villa – we went to some of the best restaurants in Bali – all very good but next time we will only head out for lunches and a couple of nights.
Rob Molyneux 9-21 July 2013
- “Your venue is amazing !!! it was almost unrealistic it was that good….the service was something that I have never experienced at any hospitality venue anywhere ever (even Sydney’s Establishment)…..All the staff were excellent in every way and Made was the cherry on top.
I’ll be BACK !!!”
I understand that daily gourmet full breakfasts and first night canapés are provided free of charge. What charges are made for other meals?
SUNGAI and SUNGAI GOLD have an innovative approach to food. The chefs shop daily at local markets, delicatessens and specialty shops, and the receipts are produced to you for approval the next morning. There is no mark-up on them nor a premium added for its preparation by your chefs. You won’t pay a cent more than if you went and bought the produce yourself.
Note: The government has decreed that from December 2015 villa guests will have to pay 10% tax on their food and beverage which will align them with hotels/resorts.
As the only charge made for your dinners, lunches and snacks is the market cost of ingredients, guests are asked to order as if for a private dinner party (or regular family meal) where, if possible, all guests enjoy the same selections. [Of course special requests and a guest’s food dislikes are taken into account.]
The villas’ children’s menus are offered on the same basis as the adult one (same selection for all children subject to ages only), although naturally they may select from either menu.
The head chef (Wayan), or dining staff will discuss/take your lunch and dinner orders after breakfast each morning. By this stage you will have planned your day and this allows the chefs to shop in time for lunch if applicable. We require your assistance with this as we do not keep food on the premises so that the produce can be super fresh (and we only charge you for what is ordered on your behalf).This is the reason we make suggestions for your first day’s meals on the electronic booking form that we send after your booking has been confirmed. In most cases flights arrive later in the morning/afternoon/evening so we need to identify your meals for that day in advance.
[Cappuccinos, macchiatos, espressos, etc. using the premium Nespresso pod system are offered on a complimentary basis as are a range of TWG specialty teas.]
Are wines and cocktails available at the villas?
Australian, French, Italian, New Zealand and local wines + a comprehensive range of cocktails are available from the bar at wholesale prices and unlike restaurants and resorts, attract no extra taxes.
A wider range of wines, champagnes & beers can be ordered in for you in advance of your arrival (also at wholesale prices and without corkage). Such special orders will be charged to your account immediately, irrespective of whether you consume them all during your stay at the villa or not…we will be happy to send you our wholesalers list if you are interested, however, most guests rely on the villa range.
Please note that USD10 corkage per bottle will be charged for wines brought in by guests, however, BYO duty free spirits are welcome without corkage for use with mixed drinks (not for use in cocktails).
[Please note that there is a 1 litre alcohol limit per adult into Bali]
Are special dietary needs catered for (vegetarians, gluten free/vegan, etc)?
Please advise us in detail at the time of booking of any special dietary requirements.
(a) Can I have a party? (b) Can we invite guests for drinks or lunch/dinner?
- ..just discuss your needs at time of enquiry. The best caterers, entertainment, florists, etc. can be arranged for you. The villas can accommodate intimate weddings at both SUNGAI and SUNGAI GOLD (or in conjunction) and accommodation for other guests can be arranged for you in neighbouring villas.
A near-by large estate in the same village can host weddings for 100-150 guests.
- Our guests are welcome to invite friends to cocktails or dinner at the villa/s. This is particularly relevant when they happen to be in Bali for a wedding or special event with friends staying elsewhere on the island for that same function. It can be rather special to introduce them to the privacy and exclusivity of your full-service private villa, particularly if they are staying at resorts/hotels/villa complexes. Please discuss this with us in the lead-in so we can give you the various options. FYI we try to be flexible for impromptu gatherings, however, if numbers go ≥ 12 guests total, then there is a charge per head for the cocktail party or dinner on top of the usual ‘cost of ingredients only’ basis of the food at the villa/s. This allows for the extra chefs and service staff required, and applies to all guests including the in-house guests. POA
Is bottled water available?
It is provided on an unlimited free of charge basis in all guest rooms and living areas. All food preparation is done using bottled water.
Is there a TV/DVD player/cable?
We have a television and DVD player (plus libraries) in Poolside Suites 1 and 3 in Villa Sungai, and Poolside Guest Suite 1 at Sungai Gold.
Given that our clientele are generally staying with us to catch up with family/friends we deliberately do not provide televisions etc. in the dining/leisure pavilions.
What sound facilities are provided?
Bose sound in the pavilions
Bose sound in SUNGAI GOLD guest rooms
Tivoli Audio sound in SUNGAI guest rooms
Loaded iPods in all bedrooms
Are there any laundry facilities at the villa?
The staff provide same day service (where possible) FOC.
What is the plug/voltage situation in Bali?
220 – 240 AC/DC voltage
If you are bringing along any plug-in appliances you should take an international adapter with you. Round two-pin plugs are the most common types in the region. Voltage is 110/220V.
Remember: an adaptor by itself will not change the electrical voltage. You must be sure that your appliance can handle different voltages (either automatically or through a voltage switch). If it can’t, you will need a voltage converter.
When is the best time of the year to go to Bali?
Bali is generally a fantastic place to visit year round, so the best time to visit Bali really comes down to your own personal preferences, although there are a number of factors that may influence your decision. Depending on the kind of experience you want to have, where you’ll be visiting and the types of things you want to do while you’re there, the best time to visit Bali will differ. Consider the following factors to decide what you think will be the best time to visit Bali for you.
Peak & Off Peak Seasons
Peak and off peak seasons may also affect your decision on when to travel to Bali as the most popular times are not only the busiest but also more expensive. July and August are usually the busiest periods of the peak season with many families holidaying during school holidays and the same can be said for the Christmas/New Year period.
As a tropical destination, Bali’s weather is generally fairly mild and pleasant year round however the major seasonal difference falls between the wet and dry seasons. The wet season falls from November to April and is a little hotter and definitely more humid, with brief but heavy torrential rainfall during the day, however this rainfall does little to impact on tours and activities. The dry season falls from May to October and is certainly thought of as one of the best times to visit Bali as the sun is always out and the ocean inviting. Although the weather is better for sunbaking, swimming and outdoor activities it also means that Bali in general is a lot busier.
What are the visa and travel requirements for visitors to Bali?
Please check on-line or with your travel agent as the Indonesian government changes its requirements quite regularly.
There are 3 possibilities for tourists:
- No Visa required (majority of countries – FREE entry, 30 days valid, NOT extendable)
- Visa on Arrival (USD35, 30 days valid, extendable (once for 30 days)
- Visa needed (apply abroad before arriving in Indonesia)
The service at Sungai is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever experienced.Amanda Donald